« Home | Today's theme song comes Richard and Linda Thompson.. » | If only Bush had listened to himself.... » | double latte for the devil..let me please introduc... » | British Film-zine lists Top 100 Films - Vertigo is... » | You can ride up front on the bus, but it's better ... » | Just another fraternity prank - 21 detainees killed » | My inner sheep - mmmmmmmmmm cheesecaKe » | blogspamalot - who's writing this stuff?? » | BuSH Team bingo » | Conference on Neighborhoods - Kudos to S-TownMike »

Why don't we just give them Texas - $10,000,000,000 isn't enough??

In a stunning example of corporate welfare in a time when congress is supposedly scouring the budget for things to cut, House Republicans recently ramrodded an energy bill through Congress that would give financial incentives to energy companies to encourage them to build new refineries. Considering that EXXON made TEN BILLION dollars in profits this past quarter ($110,000,000 PER DAY) I'm thinking that they oughta build their own damn refineries on their own dime. Do any of the House Republicans that voted for this have any shame? These profits were made largely on the back of the hurricane tragedy. I understand that US refinery capacity is not high enough but the capacity was exactly the same when gas was $2.10 a gallon. Price spikes were understandable but price gouging should be condemned. Ironically the bill encouraging new refineries contains language against price gouging...fines up to $11,000 per infraction...whooooooooooo scary!

When Bush was running for President he chastized Clinton for not using his power to 'jawbone' OPEC about the high price of oil: "What I think the president ought to do [when gas prices spike] is he ought to get on the phone with the OPEC cartel and say we expect you to open your spigots...And the president of the United States must jawbone OPEC members to lower the price."

I'm wondering when the jawboning is going to begin? 'm waiting with bated breath for that phone call from Bush to EXXON...

About me

  • I'm John H
  • From Salemtown, Tennessee, United States
  • Cruising past 50, my wife and I have reared three kids and several dogs. I work for state government and daily conspire to deflate bureacracy.
My profile

Links