« Home | Faces of Oktoberfest » | Didn't the Beatles write a song about this...somet... » | Holy mother of all that is caffeinated, please, oh... » | Light at the end of the tunnel, or, yummy yummy yu... » | If only we armed our cats and kittens.. » | That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds ... » | Warner parks Presidential ambition, or, Warner put... » | Dore's pound Dawgs, put Dawgs in their place, kenn... » | Heutiger Tag ist Oktoberfest. Fall ist hier. Glaub... » | How to get to Chattanooga in 10 hours, or, would a... »

More on unschooling - are you listening to yourself?

When it comes to rants as art form, Sarcastro and early Dennis Leary are on the short list to the hall of fame. Kat-Co has already highlighted today's masterpiece.I'm thinking I may understand the genesis of the behaviour that leads to the stupid-ass driving Sarcastro eloquently details.

I wrote earlier about unschooling. A very nice person who is involved in unschooling wrote me back and what I read sounded a whole lot like home-schooling to me, but as she noted in an article she wrote, I'm a civilian.

So, I'm going to call the philosophy described below as Xtreme-unschooling. The following is an actual quote in an article about unschooling written by a fellow Tennessean. Remember that she is talking about a young child:

The most important reason why I don't force her, pressure her, or try to influence her to learn particular things at particular times is because of her volition. It is far more important that she learn the lessons of morality (that her values are her own, that her life is her own, that her agenda is her own, that it is her responsibility to exercise volition) than it is for her to learn math, reading, or anything else. When we tell a child that he must learn spelling rather than whatever else he wants to do, we are telling him that our desires for him are more important that his desires for himself.


I have no idea if this philosophy consitutes the complete underpinning of 'un-schooling', but Sarcastro, you've gotta understand...that driver was just exercising his own volition.

About me

  • I'm John H
  • From Salemtown, Tennessee, United States
  • Cruising past 50, my wife and I have reared three kids and several dogs. I work for state government and daily conspire to deflate bureacracy.
My profile

Links