« Home | Surprised Okie from Muskogee, or, Sometimes it's h... » | Giving to Magdalene » | The geometry of innocent flesh on the bone... » | Giddy up » | YESsssssssssssssssssssss...Vandy 28 UT 24 » | Let em' try to eat Cheesecake » | Stuntin' with the oh-so-predictable Republicans » | Every Playboy centerfold for ten years.. » | Worst album covers ever.. » | Salem's Lots World of Entertainment »

November 22, 1963

People around my age have one thing in common - no matter our political or religious beliefs, no matter our social standing - we all know exactly where we were when we heard the news that the President had been shot.

I was a 6th grader at David Lipscomb. My teacher was Mrs. Deese. We were quietly working in the class (probably one of the few days of the year when I was actually quiet), when the intercom crackled on. Our principal asked everyone to listen...a radio reporter somberly intoned that our President had been shot. A few idiots in my class actually cheered. Students at David Lipscomb in the early 1960s were no fans of a Catholic president. Most of us kept quiet.

After the announcement we were dismissed for P.E. Everyone was milling in the halls. Any trace of jubilation disappeared - possibly based on threats from the P.E. teacher.

No one in my house was a Kennedy fan, but that night we ate completely without conversation (also a first). I got to go over to a friend's house to spend the night, but the visit was joyless.

I'd like to say that I had a great epiphany that day or night. My fear of a Catholic president didnt' recede until later years, but I do know that it felt really strange to be in a country that suddenly had a lot more in common with the 'banana' republic method of political opposition than I had read about in those books we were supposed to be studying when that intercom crackled...

About me

  • I'm John H
  • From Salemtown, Tennessee, United States
  • Cruising past 50, my wife and I have reared three kids and several dogs. I work for state government and daily conspire to deflate bureacracy.
My profile

Links