« Home | Ozzie goes hairy at writer, or Just wait til' the ... » | Things that will make me cry today » | Pinata surprise of the day, or, why is that pinata... » | I've seen the future, and its name isn't Bryson » | Three good reasons I am enjoying Father's Day » | I think we still need you... » | Shills Gone Wild » | NOLA, N-O-L-A NOLA, or Brownie's gone but there ar... » | What the hell? » | My social life »

Take that name and MAP it....

Courtesy of Clicked, I found this great new mash-up called Wikimapia using Google Earth where you can identify buildings, parks, monuments, etc. and YOU get to name them (if somebody hasn't already early-birded their way to that spot).

The major rule is to name something that would be of interest to others. Naming your house (which like a major dork I was about to do), is specifically verboten (they have spelled out the verboten in the pop-up box where you get to name and describe your map-point). You also have a chance to write a short description of the item you are naming.

I managed to give Morgan Park, Werthan Bag and Cordell Hull Building (where I work, but it really is interesting for reasons other than THAT!) 'their names', along with adding one of my favorite chestnuts in the description of Cordell Hull Building: 'How many people work in this building? About half'.

One downside of letting the hoi polloi do their own a la cartology is that people can get things wrong. Unless I am really skewed, St. Mary's Cathedral in downtown Nashville isn't on Church Street. Somebody really needs to repent for that one...

About me

  • I'm John H
  • From Salemtown, Tennessee, United States
  • Cruising past 50, my wife and I have reared three kids and several dogs. I work for state government and daily conspire to deflate bureacracy.
My profile

Links