« Home | She jumped in before I had a chance to explain... » | Another View » | Stem the veto, President Bush » | Well, it's not in East Tennessee, or maybe he can ... » | My new favorite quote..or, If you want a theocracy... » | There's low comedy, high comedy, unintentional com... » | If I could have any wish....Hilleary v. Hillary ce... » | Please, please don't let the wrong people get hold... » | Kicking the stubborn Americans where it hurts, or,... » | All-Star Game at an All-Star Park »

Puzzle addict, or grumpy etymologist , or me*

We saw Wordplay last night. I loved it. Perhaps this further explains my nerdness. Will Shortz - puzzle meister for the NY Times and NPR - is one of my heroes.

The centerpiece of the movie is an annual crossword puzzle tournament hosted by Shortz. Outside of a convention featuring people dressed as Klingons, never will you find a more wonderfully geeky collection of peeps. The movie also features puzzle makers, famous puzzle solvers and assorted word-nerds.

I consider myself a moderately good crossword puzzle solver. The daily Tennessean puzzle is not much of a challenge, but I've never completed a Saturday NY Times puzzle. What really baffles and bedazzles me is the folks who create the puzzles. I especially love the folks who manage to incorporate themes and puns into their masterworks. Their imagination is way beyond anything I can conjure.

I do have one great clue that I'm willing to give away to a puzzle-meister:

Hawthorne embarrassed the rent check is late**

Apropos of little, I also have a great country music title and first verse that I'm pretty much willing to give away***



* What is a crossword nerd?

**Scarlet Letter

***I've never been to Chernobyl, but I'd melt down for you

About me

  • I'm John H
  • From Salemtown, Tennessee, United States
  • Cruising past 50, my wife and I have reared three kids and several dogs. I work for state government and daily conspire to deflate bureacracy.
My profile

Links