« Home | And, the caption is???? » | It's the end of the world as we know it (and I fee... » | Philled with Inner Peace » | George Delano Bush - The Wet Deal » | Park the pork - federal spending on Lipscomb's garage » | What's so funny about PC understanding or Peeved b... » | the angels wanna wear my red shoes... » | Welcome to Salemtown - Which way are we tipping? » | Why wait until 2008 for a solution to 'Eau de Sale... » | Married to an artist, OR Oedipus lost »

I want my Democrats back

A couple of weeks ago on Bill Maher's always interested HBO show, he made the observation that finally, after Katrina and the unspectacular response from government at ALL levels, that 'FINALLY, we have our press back'. Despite the rhetoric from the Fox-fused right, the mainstream press has not strongly questioned, badgered, or investigated the status quo during the Bush years. The build-up to the war in Iraq and the 'no-brainer' belief that WMD did exist in Iraq were both largely unquestioned by the NY Times, the Washington Post and any TV news that I could find.

It took a bigger-than-fricking-life natural disaster and live-on-camera dissembling and incompetence for the press to FINALLY step in and scream the truth.

As ill-conceived, dangerous and selfish as I think many of the Bush policies are, I am forced to concede that I have not heard or read any coherent message either as proposal or as response from Democratic leadership.

Stating and repeating that 'Bush is bad' and we are against what he is for didn't work in the 2004 elections and does not bode well for 2006.

Where are the Democrats?

- Energy and Environment - China's coming (watch your oil, boys) and much of our mid-eastern oil purchases are indirectly funding Islamic extremism. Is there a plan to seriously reduce our dependency on oil? Lamar Alexander has stated that the 'Clean Air Act' is not adequate to protect our air. Alternative energy sources, including (excuse me while I duck to avoid greenpeace missiles) nuclear need to be on the table.

Where are the Democrats?

- Massive deficits - How are going to pay for a war in Iraq, Bush's 'wet' Deal for the Gulf Coast, Homeland Security, etc. etc.? Somebody has got to more than call Bush on his profligacy, they've got to have a plan to cut spending or raise revenues (and I don't think tax increases are going to be happening soon).

Where are the Democrats?

- Genocide / Massacres in Africa - Bush has at least paid attention to what is happening in Danfur. Like him or not, Senator Frist, on his own dime, has flown in to Sudan and given his money and medical expertise to the beleaguered Sudanese. Genocide is happening and we can't be bothered.

Where are the Democrats?

Education - 'no child left behind' is under-funded and ill-conceived. One size doesn't fit all. Public schools have been, in many cases still are, and can be great. Creative thinking such as charter schools must be explored. Vouchers might be an option in some extreme cases, but would eventually kill public schools in most cities.

Where are the Democrats?

Where is meaningful, well-thought opposition that is more than RE-action. I want it back.

About me

  • I'm John H
  • From Salemtown, Tennessee, United States
  • Cruising past 50, my wife and I have reared three kids and several dogs. I work for state government and daily conspire to deflate bureacracy.
My profile

Links