« Home | Pssst..over here, I've got 10 gestation certificat... » | A mind is a terrible thing to waste, especially if... » | Salemtown sights - Oktoberfest lagniappe » | Walking in Memphis... » | Know your cuts of meat.......yummmmmmmmmm » | Sunni Day real estate - or why the Sunni's wanna k... » | The greatest story ever told....in Legos » | I read the news today, oh boy...and it pretty much... » | Apparently she doesn't get out much... » | Old to new in S-Town »

No blogs for you - Tennessean holding fast to 20th century

I've e-pined before about the mediocrity of our daily paper (Wire Services R' Us). Today when I was reading the Op-Ed page (including George Will's scathing assessment of Bush and his selection of Miers), I noticed that the guest op-ed commentary covered a topic near and dear to the heart of many bloggers - Pork in the Highway Bill. The column was written by a Heritage Foundation researcher named Ronald Utt and catalogues some of the more egregious pork coming to Tennessee via the Porcine Highway.

I googled Mr. Utt and discovered that he lives in northern Virginia. Not that there's anything wrong with that...but that leads me (finally) to my point. Does the Tennessean even know about the existence of blogs? If any Tennessean reporter/editor/copy person, etc. bothered to scan Nashville is Talking, they would see better, more cogent writing on a local level than much of what passes as local news and op-ed commentary. The Tennessean wouldn't have to resort to canned commentary from northern Virgina (I suspect that Mr. Utt has written 50 of the highway port editorials - one for each state).

One huge piece of pork that Mr. Utt missed is the $3,000,000 bucks earmarked for Lipscomb University to build a new parking garage. S-TownMike picked up this story back in August. Bill Hobbs, here and Bob Krumm here both have strong, clearly written opinions on the matter.

I suspect that Hobbs and Krumm and S-TownMike could have also come up with a thorough laundry list of other Tennessee-bound pork.

Come on, Tennessean, feel the noise, the bloggers are rocking the house, and you're missing the party.

And, as an aside, your website is poorly designed and cluttered. Your site map is not useful, and some of the key links are broken. Today when I was trying to look up an old Nashville Eye column, I hit the appropriate link and got this:

This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

The Tennessean is missing more than this in the virtual world...

About me

  • I'm John H
  • From Salemtown, Tennessee, United States
  • Cruising past 50, my wife and I have reared three kids and several dogs. I work for state government and daily conspire to deflate bureacracy.
My profile

Links