« Home | You can't possibly make this stuff up.. » | Other job news you might have missed.. » | Hit me in the head once shame on me, hit me in the... » | Reasons to be cheerful...part 3 » | Type A babeee or, whooohooo, I'm 10,551st! » | Can you pay attention long enough to read this? » | November 22, 1963 » | Surprised Okie from Muskogee, or, Sometimes it's h... » | Giving to Magdalene » | The geometry of innocent flesh on the bone... »

The Steve Gill prayer...

Actually there are two Steve Gill prayers. The first is Steve's own: 'Dear God, PLEASE let Bredesen propose a state income tax...please, please please.'

Gill, who is considering a run for the governor, may talk about ethics, but truth is, he's a one-trick pony. Buried in today's Tennessean story on the next governor's race is this gem from Gill:
'most second-term governors at least "flirt" with the idea of an income tax, which people might be wary of in a Bredesen second term'.


You can practically see the Gill-wheels spinning..even if he (bredesen) doesn't propose an income tax, I'll start talking about it and then talk about it some more and maybe some of my sheep, er, listeners will buy it. Gill has ridden the income-tax bete' noire' for several years and he's hoping that the ride will continue through the election.

The fact is that Bredesen is not coming any closer to proposing an income tax than Van Hilleary being asked to join Mensa, but the facts shouldn't get in the way for Steve-a-rino.

The serious candidate is Beth Harwell, but if she runs this time, it's only to get some name recognition for either the NEXT run or a Senatorial run.

The other Steve Gill prayer is mine: Please, Steve, run. I want him to run for the same reason I wanted Pat Buchanan to run for president and Pat Robertson to run for president. I want them to be totally repudiated. I want their vote totals to be an embarrassment for generations to come. I want them to see that even though the country may be skewing conservative, that their extremism has no traction.

I actually like Buchanan..don't agree with him much, but he is a thinker and his oppostion to the Iraqi war is second to no one. His extremism played well in New Hampshire once, but like a Steve Gill thought..it runs out of gas when examined closely.

So, run, Steve, run. Your lack of originality will be completely exposed and you'll be lucky to carry Williamson county. It still cracks me up that for a while, he called his radio show 'a no-spin zone'. My spin is that is that we already have a Republican governor..name of Bredesen, and he wins in a walk.

About me

  • I'm John H
  • From Salemtown, Tennessee, United States
  • Cruising past 50, my wife and I have reared three kids and several dogs. I work for state government and daily conspire to deflate bureacracy.
My profile

Links