« Home | Monroe Doctrine nails it or It's the WAHABI, stupid » | Thank you. » | You might be a Nazi, if.... » | The sky really is falling for these kids... » | But doc, I've got this prescription or The Christi... » | So, if we don't torture why is it that you wanna v... » | Why the Germans won't have to worry about the Avia... » | And your bird can sing.. » | I got 105,000! » | Flying high with Tom Delay or Fox funds fat-free f... »

Will you still need me, will you still feed me, will you be able to explain the new Medicare Pharmacy Benefit program to me?

In three days, enrollment begins for the new expanded Medicare Pharmacy benefit program. The program features over 40 different benefit packages and is considered by many to be incredibly complicated and hard to grasp.

According to a NY Times front page story:

In a survey issued this week by the Kaiser Family Foundation and the Harvard School of Public Health, only 35 percent of people 65 and older said they understood the new drug benefit. Those who said they understood it were more likely to have a favorable impression of it.

Asked about beneficiaries' confusion, Michael O. Leavitt, the secretary of health and human services, said: "Health care is complicated. We acknowledge that. Lots of things in life are complicated: filling out a tax return, registering your car, getting cable television. It is going to take time for seniors to become comfortable with the drug benefit."


Acturally Mr. Leavitt, getting cable is not that complicated. You call the cable company and they promise to come to your house between noon and 4:00 PM. When they do show up, they wire you up. Not something I could do, but not all that complicated.

Further in the NY Times story, the reporter quotes frustrated Kansan:

"I have a Ph.D., and it's too complicated to suit me," said William Q. Beard, 73, a retired chemist in Wichita, Kan., who takes eight prescription drugs, including several heart medicines. "I wonder how the vast majority of beneficiaries will handle this. I fervently wish that members of Congress had to deal with the same health care program we do."


Now THERE'S an idea....

About me

  • I'm John H
  • From Salemtown, Tennessee, United States
  • Cruising past 50, my wife and I have reared three kids and several dogs. I work for state government and daily conspire to deflate bureacracy.
My profile

Links