« Home | A wrinkle in my time, or, book it, kiddo » | Some pretty half-baked but mostly sincere resoluti... » | 3,000 is more than just a number » | Heh, heh... » | Your Tennessean - tripping into Blog-land » | Hey, does this guy have a blog? » | I've been most everywhere man, except any foreign ... » | Happy 2007!, or, I'm sleeping in, can somebody els... » | Two unrelated football notes.. » | Festivus for the rest of us, or, my name may be Ea... »

Gimme a ticket for an aeroplane, ain't got time for a fast train, lonely days are gone, I would be goin' home, but the President opened my letter

Does it bother anyone outside the ACLU that the President gets to decide what part of a law he doesn't like when he is signing the bill into law? It's called a 'signing statement' and our so-called conservative President has issued more signing statements than ALL the previous presidents combined.

It's kind of a 'I'll respect you in the morning' with a finger crossed behind the back. Ooooookay, this law is now law because I just signed it but if I don't feel like it I'm really not going to pay any attention to what I just signed. Doesn't this bother true conservatives? Isn't this an imbalance of power?

The latest case is the law that states (quite sensibly) that if the postal services believes a letter contains a bomb, they don't have to call and ask for permission to 'open/defuse' the letter. Also the law allows the postal service to open a letter without an address so that the post office can attempt to ascertain where the letter is supposed to be sent.

NOTHING in the bill allows a first class letter to be opened (with the above exceptions) without a warrant. The President signed the bill, but he left a door open as wide as the security at our port system.

He claims that in 'exigent circumstances' that the government gets to by-pass the law. The signing statement gives a couple of examples of what exigent circumstances are, but doesn't delineate or in any way limit the definition of 'exigent'.

If the President thinks this is a necessary component of an anti-terrorism package, then he should have his party propose a bill that spells out what the government is allowed to do with first-class mail. Otherwise, the bill he signed is the bill he should live with.

I thought conservatives wanted to LIMIT the power of the government? Maybe I just don't understand the rules of bizarro world.

Meanwhile, stay the hell out of my mail!

About me

  • I'm John H
  • From Salemtown, Tennessee, United States
  • Cruising past 50, my wife and I have reared three kids and several dogs. I work for state government and daily conspire to deflate bureacracy.
My profile

Links