« Home | The name game - Salemtown mythology revisited » | I want my Democrats back » | And, the caption is???? » | It's the end of the world as we know it (and I fee... » | Philled with Inner Peace » | George Delano Bush - The Wet Deal » | Park the pork - federal spending on Lipscomb's garage » | What's so funny about PC understanding or Peeved b... » | the angels wanna wear my red shoes... » | Welcome to Salemtown - Which way are we tipping? »

I can't remember what this is about


According to this, Chinese scientists are working on a way to block memories, a la Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, by messing with the pre-frontal cortex of mice. Treated mice forgot about a shock related to a certain piece of music, and repeatedly listened to the same piece of music without flinching. Untreated mice panicked like a FEMA employee when asked if he wanted one of those 'hurricane' drinks.

The ramifications are ominous (movie studios could drug your popcorn making you forget how bad, say, STEALTH is, and as a result you might return to see the movie again and again, not realizing that the film is a wretched waste of celluloid).

On the other hand, judicious use of the treatment would enable me to forget:

1) Red Sox beat the Yankees last year in the playoffs
2) I ran over my cell phone last month
3) the song 'Horse with no Name' by America (and I'll take the treatment again if i hear that damn song again)
4) Paris Hilton ('nuff said)
5) the time in high school when I went out with this girl I really liked for the first time and I couldn't think of ANY thing to say, until I spotted a bright green home mailbox that I felt compelled to discuss. Oddly, no more dates with this girl..
6) 22 straight victories by Tennessee over Vandy in football (maybe events will overtake the need to forget this one!)
7) pretty much every haircut I got from the 7th grade thru high school
8) the time at work (I work for the state Health department) when I was involved in a discussion about breastfeeding promotion and I blurted out something about calling women who had quit breastfeeding and encouraging them to start again..doh!
9) the time I fell out of a trash can I was hiding in behind a map of the Holy Land in Sunday school class when Pat Boone's daughter walked into the class
10) Any movie starring Freddy Prinz Jr.

There's more, but I might start crying...

About me

  • I'm John H
  • From Salemtown, Tennessee, United States
  • Cruising past 50, my wife and I have reared three kids and several dogs. I work for state government and daily conspire to deflate bureacracy.
My profile

Links