« Home | I want my Democrats back » | And, the caption is???? » | It's the end of the world as we know it (and I fee... » | Philled with Inner Peace » | George Delano Bush - The Wet Deal » | Park the pork - federal spending on Lipscomb's garage » | What's so funny about PC understanding or Peeved b... » | the angels wanna wear my red shoes... » | Welcome to Salemtown - Which way are we tipping? » | Why wait until 2008 for a solution to 'Eau de Sale... »

The name game - Salemtown mythology revisited


Last night when we out walking the hyper-dog Sparky, we stopped to chat with long-time Salemtown resident Patsy Gidcomb (Patsy lives on the 1800 block of 5th). Patsy has lived in her current house for 46 years, and for most of her preceding years, she lived across the street. She remembers Freeman's Restaurant on Buchanan and 5th, the dry cleaners and the grocery store all within two blocks of her house.

We asked Patsy the inevitable question: How did Salemtown get its name? She wasn't sure, but she did contribute mightily to our quest: "Salemtown had its name before the Salem AME church was created and built". Another naming myth debunked!

I'm leaning strongly to the theory espoused by the lone wolf of Salemtown in S-townMike's seminal post last week in his Enclave blog.

Smoke em' if you got em'...

About me

  • I'm John H
  • From Salemtown, Tennessee, United States
  • Cruising past 50, my wife and I have reared three kids and several dogs. I work for state government and daily conspire to deflate bureacracy.
My profile

Links