« Home | I can't remember what this is about » | The name game - Salemtown mythology revisited » | I want my Democrats back » | And, the caption is???? » | It's the end of the world as we know it (and I fee... » | Philled with Inner Peace » | George Delano Bush - The Wet Deal » | Park the pork - federal spending on Lipscomb's garage » | What's so funny about PC understanding or Peeved b... » | the angels wanna wear my red shoes... »

We CAN be heroes


Along with the snafus, multi-level layers of blame, and Brownie-you've-done-a-heckuva job palaver, there are Katrina heroes, including a Wal-Mart manager who stole a bunch of boats and brought supplies to hundreds of people and one federal 'agency' who got it right: The United States Coast Guard.

According to the Boston Globe, the Coast Guard had rescued 1,200 people before FEMA set foot in New Orleans. This piece in the Washington Post further details the impressive work of the Coast Guard in the aftermath of Katrina. Despite the fact that Coast Guard stations in the area were destroyed, the Guard eventually rescued a staggering 22,000 people.

The Coast Guard REALLY did a heckuva job...

About me

  • I'm John H
  • From Salemtown, Tennessee, United States
  • Cruising past 50, my wife and I have reared three kids and several dogs. I work for state government and daily conspire to deflate bureacracy.
My profile

Links